Critical Reflection

Module Learning

The effective communications module has been eventful and incredibly meaningful for me. In the beginning, I was confident in my communication skills and believed that I had little to nothing to learn. However, I was quickly proven wrong after learning about critical thinking and critical reflections. 


The Paul-Elder framework was deeply insightful as it showed me how to make use of intellectual standards like clarity and precision, and intellectual traits like humility and fairmindedness. One such example was the summary reader's response assignment. I was trained to collect information relating to porous asphalt and analyse its relevance and significance so as to convince my audience. I must then apply the elements of reasoning to convey the key concepts while keeping the audience's assumptions in mind. Finally, I am able to develop intellectual traits and develop intellectual courage while holding intellectual integrity. With Professor Blackstone's help, I could write better and be more precise with my words on paper. 


The 7C's of communication also developed my public speaking skills. In my part-time job as an instructor, I often have to speak to customers who come from different walks of life and different ages. However, I always speak too fast and often stutter, causing much confusion in my conversations with them. In the classes, when presented with the opportunity to speak, I tend to replicate similar flaws in my speech and usually end up with many questions being asked. As such, the 7C's helped me ensure that my speech is always clear and concise, while remaining courteous and considerate. This propelled me to have a great oral presentation that led to my team's overall accomplishment of a unified and strong team. 


Looking forward, I hope to have more opportunities for public speaking to further develop my critical thinking skills, so that I can convince my clients in my future workplace. Perhaps I might one day be a jack of all trades, master of all in my communication abilities. 


Project Learning:

In the research project, the main takeaway I had was the chance to develop my public speaking skills. When presented with the chance to speak, which was plenty in this module, I often spoke too fast due to my overconfidence. As I believed I understood my topics, I communicate them too quickly and end up burning out, causing me to stutter and slow my pace to an awkward speed. I would then use fillers such as "uh" and "ah", while repeating points that have already been mentioned. This leads to an embarrassing situation where I have already dug myself in too deep.


Luckily, I had great teammates and classmates throughout this module. My teammates guided me during our group rehearsals for our presentation and pointed out my flaws. My classmates helped me through the peer reviews which I have read and appreciated for their constructive criticisms. Thanks to everyone's effort, I was able to provide an excellent oral presentation where I stuttered less and used fewer fillers. Even though it was not perfect as I still had other areas to work on, I am glad that I had the chance in this module to improve my public speaking skills and present in a professional scenario.


I was also able to learn about non-verbal speaking skills that were equally important in delivering a professional presentation. One such example is body posture and movement. During a presentation, I should be standing straight with my arms directing my audience to the topic on screen. I should not be static with my movement either as moving a little increases my stage presence. Another non-verbal skill I have learnt is to not refer to a script. By understanding my content rather than memorising it, I am able to think on the spot and present more confidently than if I were to refer to a script.


Before I end my critical reflection, I would like to thank Professor Blackstone for the unending guidance and wisdom he has imparted to me. I would also like to thank my peers and my team for giving me constructive feedback that has developed me as a person and my communication skills. This module has been a wonderful experience and I strive to apply the skills I have learnt here in life and in my future career.




Comments

  1. Dear Chester,

    Thanks very much for this detailed critical reflection. I appreciate how you’ve addressed both facets of the assignment – module learning and the project -- and that you considered in depth various aspects of the work you did and presented multiple takeaways.

    You’ve also written with fine fluency.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self-introduction letter

CVE1281-Effective Communication: Unit 1 - Task 3

Summary Reader's Response: Porous Road Surfaces (Summary/Reader's Response Draft 1)